Getting rid of accents

Kerim Friedman kerim.list at oxus.net
Sun May 20 04:54:47 UTC 2001

Although these changes are just beginning to affect services for the end customer, they have been going on for a long time in terms of companies moving entire corporate service divisions overseas. British Airways, for instance, moved their entire accounting division to India. Countries like India and the Phillipines, where the salaries of the educated population are low, and education is conducted in English, have been very eager to snatch up these jobs. As far as I know, US labor organizations have not really responded - largely because the jobs that are being lost are in sectors that were never really unionized in the first place.

I find it interesting that in the computer industry there is a linguistic division of labor between the English speaking countries (Phillipines and India) which work on software, and the non-English speaking countries (Taiwan, China) which do work on hardware.

kerim

>different language varieties in such situations, I've wondered about the response of US labor with regard to potential losses of jobs.
>
>Maggie Ronkin

P. KERIM FRIEDMAN
			Anthropology, Temple University
			<mailto:kerim.friedman at oxus.net>