Nushu (Chinese women's script)

Paul B. Garrett pgarrett at astro.temple.edu
Tue Nov 20 18:58:14 UTC 2001

Thanks to Sue Ervin-Tripp and Krzysztof Korøyk for forwarding the
original linganth messages concerning Nushu.  Thanks also to
Kerim Friedman, David Samuels, Jim Wilce, Peter Patrick, and Beth
Simon for their responses.  For anyone interested, here's a
summary of references:

---------------

Chiang, William Wei, 1991.  “We Two know the Script: We Have
Become Good Friends”: Linguistic and Social Aspects of the
Women's Script Literacy in Southern
Hunan, China.  Doctoral dissertation, Yale University.

Liu, Shouhua & Xiaoshen Hu, 1994.  “Folk Narrative Literature in
Chinese
Nushu: An Amazing New Discovery.”  Asian Folklore Studies
53:307-318.

Zan, Qifeng, 1994.  Nüshu: A Women’s Writing System.  M.A. thesis
in Linguistics, University of Florida, Gainesville.

http://www2.ttcn.ne.jp/~orie/home.htm

http://deall.ohio-state.edu/chan.9/g-bib.htm

http://www.telefilm.gc.ca/en/prod/tv/tv98/075.htm

Paul B. Garrett