Fwd: Re: primate communication?

Valentina Pagliai valentina.pagliai at oberlin.edu
Thu Nov 7 14:54:45 UTC 2002

I was actually wondering about "gender."  As a cultural construct,
shouldn't it be somehow invoked by the speakers to be considered
applicable?  How do gibbons invoke gender?
As for "discourse," I think the interesting discourse here (which is
becoming dominant in the US) is one that accepts cross-species comparisons.

Valentina Pagliai
Oberlin College