IPrA call for papers

warren olivo wolivo at trentu.ca
Thu Oct 3 18:10:30 UTC 2002

Please forgive cross postings.

Call for papers for 8th IPrA meeting in Toronto, July 13-18, 2003Institutional interaction.

For the most part studies of language use in institutional settings have focused on the "big three" institutions: medicine, law, and education and have typically focused on the most recognizable interaction types within these settings (e.g. doctor/patient interaction, lawyer/client interaction, teacher/student interaction).

I am currently seeking papers that examine language use in institutional settings but which in some way move beyond the traditional focus of such studies. Papers might explore discouse in non-traditional or "alternative" institutional settings such as a "hassle-free" clinic, midwifery practice, or "alternative" classrooms. Also, papers could look at previously understudied interactions in institutional settings (e.g. nurse/patient, nurse/doctor, patient/orderly, teacher/teacher assistant, teacher assistant/student).

Let me know if you are interested in participating.

Please keep in mind that the deadline for submission of panel proposals is November 1, 2002. In order to make this deadline I will need all relevant materials by October 18.

Warren Olivo, Ph.D.
Department of Anthropology
Trent University
wolivo at trentu.ca