AAA session

Richard J Senghas Richard.Senghas at sonoma.edu
Mon Oct 14 16:06:47 UTC 2002

[Folks, I'm forwarding this to the list, so replies should go to Jack (not
me). --RJS]

Contact: jack.sidnell at utoronto.ca for details.

This is to let you know of a AAA workshop on evidentiality organized by SLA
members. You can register here:
http://www.aaanet.org/mtgs/2002/workshops.htm#7

7. EVIDENTIALITY IN GRAMMAR AND DISCOURSE (Society for Linguistic
Anthropology), Thursday, 10:30am - 12:30pm Presenters: Asif Agha (U of
Pennsylvania) & John Haviland (Reed C)

Evidentiality concerns the various ways in which speakers convey notions of
"how I know that..." both through the grammatical and lexical resources of
a language and the sequential organization of an interaction. The
participants in this workshop maintain a dual focus in their presentations.
Agha looks cross-linguistically at four levels of linguistic organization
relevant to the phenomenon of evidentiality. Haviland develops an analysis
of singular occasions of speaking, drawing on videotaped interaction
between speakers of Tzotzil.