Seeking a cultural anthropologist specializing in Trique culture

Richard J. Senghas Richard.Senghas at sonoma.edu
Tue Oct 15 03:22:41 UTC 2002

[Note: This call for assistance is being forwarded by the list
administrator. Please do not use your "reply" function to respond. See
contact info in message. Thanks. -RJS]

For details, contact: Lois.M.FEUERLE at ojd.state.or.us

This query comes from the Oregon Judicial Department.
We have had a request from the Indigent Defense Unit....They are seeking a
cultural anthropologist who specializes in Trique culture, the dialect of
interest is San Juan Copala.

They specifically requested a cultural anthropologist rather than an
interpreter, but would like this cultural anthropologist to be familiar
with the Trique spoken in San Juan Copala.

The trial is supposed to begin November 12, and the cultural anthropologist
would be (and get paid as) an expert witness. How much that would be would
have to be worked out between the cultural anthropologist and Indigent
Defense (Indigent Defense is actually a different branch of the Judicial
Department than I am and they have their own budget - my unit deals only
with locating, training, testing and scheduling interpreters, not with
expert witnesses etc.

If you know anyone who would fit these qualifications, or if you would be
willing to announce - or else give me guidance to the addresses of other
pertinent listserves, professional groups etc., we would be very grateful.

Sincerely,

Lois M. Feuerle
Manager,
Court Interpreter Program