query re: "hearts and minds"

Patrick, Peter L patrickp at essex.ac.uk
Wed Apr 2 13:05:09 UTC 2003

This query is about the history, use, and any existing analysis of the phrases "hearts and minds", and "winning the peace".
I searched the webpages recently mentioned (Kerim's, and The Metaphor Project), and found only an occasional example but no discussion.
I'm sure some of you will know where else to look, or even have resources handy -- I'd be grateful for any tips. I'm esp interested in US/UK assymmetries.
I am quite struck by the frequent NON-ironic use of two invidious terms in the UK media discussions of the Iraq war. It's my impression that the pundits and journalists (over-)using them are not even aware that they could (should?!) be read/heard ironically, if at all, and this may have something to do with their adoption (if any) from US sources, with British ignorance of their history in US debates -- at least for the first one, "hearts and minds", if not the second, "winning the peace".
I know the first came to prominence in Viet Nam days, and immediately calls to my mind the excellent film of the same title about protest and resistance. But i don't know any more about their history than that. Do you? know any sources on them? The British media uses I am thinking of are by both mainstream and "progressive" journos who, one would think, would be aware of the VietNam echoes -- VietNam is mentioned often enough in these discussions-- but they don't seem to be. (Of course, I'm not denying that the terms are often, perhaps usually, used straight in the US media -- just wondering why they appear to ONLY be used straight here by mass media types, eg the BBC and Guardian, who pride themselves on being more critical (esp of the US) and progressive than US journos. (Not that I think that is especially true! having known a few myself...)
Any ideas would be welcomed. thanks,

Peter L Patrick
Dept of Language and Linguistics
University of Essex