bolstering credentials

Laura Miller lmille2 at wpo.it.luc.edu
Sat Apr 19 17:47:27 UTC 2003

Perhaps your take on "positionings" at SLA meetings reflects a lack of historical understanding of the two disciplines and the role the study of native languages has held within anthropology. I have faith that my colleagues in the SLA are more concerned about the survival of linguistic anthropology and also want to honor the historical role the study of native languages has had in anthropology than they are about "bolstering credentials." I also think it's great that SLA officers such as Sue Gal and Elinor Ochs have made efforts to increase the participation of linguistic anthropologists on various AAA committees, because that is one way to establish and protect our presence in the discipline.

I do not think nor did I mean to imply that there isn't a linguistic PhD "whose area of interest and take on language are incompatible with the project of anthropology."  What I said is that the practice of giving positions specifically marked as linguistic anthropology to people trained outside anthropology departments contributes to the widespread idea among many cultural anthropologists, biological anthropologists and archeologists that there isn't, in fact, any difference between the two disciplines. One consequence of this way of thinking is that many departments do not have or have eliminated positions for linguistic anthropology.

>>> Gabriella Modan <modan.1 at osu.edu> 04/19/03 12:05 PM >>>
Just to clarify: My point was not that we should do away with the term
'linguistic anthropologist'.  Rather, I was talking about the specific
dynamics which I see in places like the SLA meetings, where, depending on
the topic at hand,  people do identity work by *either* separating
linguistic anthropology from linguistics, or by identifying *as*
linguists.  While these positionings may seem contradictory, my sense is
that they both are about the same thing, which I think *is* about
bolstering credentials.

As for concern about people w/ linguistics PhDs getting jobs in anthro
departments -- Shockingly, there are people who are trained in linguistics
departments who know a thing or two about anthropology.  I have a hard time
believing that there is a single linguistics PhD with a job in an anthro
department whose areas of interest and take on language are incompatible
with the project of anthropology.  People who get these positions
(obviously) are not generative syntacticians.  I think it's
counter-productive to draw a boundary between linguistic anthropology and
(at least ethnographically-based) sociolinguistics, and deposit people on
either side of the boundary based on what department their PhD comes
from.  It seems to me more useful to, for example, look at the kind of work
that someone is doing.  The interdisciplinarity of linguistic anthropology
is an asset when it comes to research, teaching, and professional
organizing. And materially, it's a more useful strategy to gain more
numbers and support for linguistic anthropology by making the house bigger,
than to build up a wall that excludes people trained in linguistics
departments. AAA and SLA officer positions are often filled by people with
linguistics PhDs anyway -- I think the rhetoric of linguistic anthropology
should reflect that.

Galey Modan