"Official English" again

peterson peterson at aucegypt.edu
Mon Aug 11 15:40:25 UTC 2003

We've been through all this before, at least twice, on this list.  The reports
that discredit bilingual education are usually based, as the Lexington report
is, on administrative reports by schools, not on studies of outcomes or
teaching techniques.

It is true, as the Lexington Report alleges, that underfunded schools often
use their bilingual funds for purposes other than bilingual education.  When I
taught at Berendo Jr. High School in LA years ago, nearly every class had a
low-paid Spanish-speaking aide, and we had weekly visits from Korean, Chinese
and other speakers from UCLA.  That was "personnel" charges.

The rest of the money went to pay for paper, mimeograph supplies, overhead
projector sheets, staples and so forth (what I presume the Lexington report is
calling "fringe."  I had friends at neighboring Virgil Jr. High (where most
students spoke AAVE and so did not get bilingual funds) and I used to smuggle
them supplies, which otherwise they would have had to pay for out of pocket!
But to go from "funds for bilingual education are often mis-spent" to
"bilingual education has been a disaster" assumes that spending and teaching
can be neatly equated.

Besides, those funds made Berendo such a pleasant place that we had almost no
absenteeism.  Kids could come to the school and be warm, feel safe, be fed,
and interact with peers who spoke any of a dozen different languages.  An
ethnographic study of the school might be able to consider how that atmosphere
allowed us to be the only junior high school in the LA unified school district
whose test scores were holding steady rather than declining.

Bottom line: I'd attack the report on its data.  Would we attempt to
understand how democracy works or does not work by reading annual budgets?

Mark

Mark Allen Peterson
Assistant Professor of Anthropology and International Studies
Miami University
Oxford, OH  45056