query re: work on representations of Ebonics in TV

Ron Kuzar kuzar at research.haifa.ac.il
Wed Jan 29 18:48:24 UTC 2003

I don't know about TV representations, but John McWhorter, a pidgin-creole
scholar, wrote an important article in the Black Scholar around the time
of the original ebonics controversy (I don't have the issue number right
now), rebutting the claim that AAVE is a separate language, a kind of
creole, which is what the Oakland School District originally had claimed.
Ron Kuzar
----------------------------
> I received a query on the topic above, whcih I reproduce below,
> partly to suggest the level of interest of the person who asked me.
>
> I am also interested myself, however. It stands to reason that there
> must be such work out there somewhere, eg under cultural studies etc.,
> but whether there's any by linguists I don't know. I can't think of any offhand.
> It strikes me as a good way to get students thinking both about structural
> issues and about matters of representation, authenticity and identity,
> and relating them to modern historical changes in attitudes.
>
> Anybody know of any works? (I will pass them on to the inquirer too)
> thanks,
> 	-peter-
>
> I am currently taking a Linquistics class and part of our class project is
> an intensive research paper on Language. We can use any form of Language
> we wish for our research so I have chosen the topic of Ebonics.
> I just don't want to study Ebonics as a Language but Ebonics as a culture
> which it really is. So I was going to link the Ebonic language to the Tv Sitcom Show
> Sanford and Son. I wanted to show how Ebonics has been used in main stream
> television programs and how it continues to be used today. I was wondering if
> there is a link between Sanford and Son and the Social Linguistics within the show.
>

> Peter L Patrick
> Dept of Language and Linguistics
> University of Essex
> patrickp at essex.ac.uk

                 Dr. Ron Kuzar
Address:   Department of English Language and Literature
                 University of Haifa
                 IL-31905 Haifa, Israel
Office:       +972-4-824-9826, fax: +972-4-824-9711
Home:       +972-2-6414780, Cellular: +972-5-481-9676
Email:        kuzar at research.haifa.ac.il
Site:ý          http://research.haifa.ac.il/~kuzar