title use in academic settings

david valentine dvalenti at mail.slc.edu
Fri Jul 25 19:08:28 UTC 2003

Here at Sarah Lawrence, titles are virtually nonexistant, something
which flows from the school's progressive (if sometimes unrealized)
ideology of equality and cooperative learning.  There are no official
hierarchies (beyond the actual realities of tenure), so that the
operative distinctions between teachers (not professors, note) are
whether one is a guest, tenure-track, or tenured faculty member.  You
simply can't be a "professor" at SLC, even when you have tenure.  In
fact, we aren't even officially "Dr." either, since many of the faculty,
who teach in the arts, writing, and theatre programs, do not have a
Ph.D. as the terminal degree in their fields.  As a result, to be fair
to all, everyone is listed in college literature as "Mr." or "Ms" (never
"Mrs." or "Miss").

In practice, of course, things vary.  Many students -- especially first
years and transfer students -- use "professor" either by itself or with
last name, but this practice quickly comes to an end once the semester
is underway and hear their fellow students using the more normal form of
address, which is first name.  Only one of my students has ever called
me "Mr. Valentine" for longer than a month.   This practice is also
encouraged by the intensive one-on-one teaching system at SLC where
teachers meet with each student they teach once every two weeks to
supervise individual research projects; and the donning system, where
each student is attached to a faculty don for their four years at the
college.  With this level of contact, and the small class size (15 max),
the familiarity of first name address seems to be inevitable.

It's interesting to see the new students negotiate this.  I tend to sign
my emails to my students (and everyone else) "dv" and I frequently get
it, though, is when the FN familiarity results in even further
familiarity, as when "David" becomes "Dave."  I had one student who
called me Dave the whole of last semester, and despite the way it
grated, I couldn't bring myself to tell him that it annoyed me.

This is all in stark contrast to teaching at NYU both pre- and
post-Ph.D.  I was "professor" to every single (undergraduate) student
even when I informed them that  (a) I didn't have a Ph.D. yet, or (b)
once I did, that they could call me by my first name.

The most difficult part about the somewhat kooky (if lovely) system at
SLC is representing oneself to the outside world.  Until relatively
recently, SLC didn't award grades, meaning students had to submit reams
of narrative evaluations for gradute school applications.  And as a
faculty member, in filling out "title" boxes in recommendation forms
etc., one has to be inventive, either using "faculty member" or
translating it into an equivalent (if not actually conferred) title such
as, in my case,  "visiting asst. professor."

dv

--
David Valentine
Sarah Lawrence College
dvalenti at slc.edu
http://www.geocities.com/davidvalentine2002
- -
"What are the other books?" asked Dorothea
"'Pocket Book of Birds,'" said Dick, "and 'Common Objects of the Countryside'..."
"Oh," said Dorothea.  "Nothing to read at all?"