title use in academic settings

Mike Salovesh salovex at wpo.cso.niu.edu
Sat Jul 26 03:00:32 UTC 2003

I'm proud of my Chicago Ph.D., but uncomfortable if called "Dr. Salovesh".
"Ex-Professor" (I retired five years ago) doesn't sit too well, either. (It
could raise questions about how and why I was eliminated from the
professoriate.) I've not heard the title "Emeritus" used often enough to
have any desire to hide behind it.

That brings up a passing question. Is anybody ever addressed as "Emeritus
Professor +LN" in U.S. academia? The term of reference usage, it seems to
me, would be "+FN +LN, Emeritus Professor of XXology of the U of YY". And
that is just too much of a mouthful for a term of address.

The combination +FN +LN sits well with me for another reason: it's a common
usage among members of the Religious Society of Friends, and I am a Quaker
anthropologist. (Quaker tradition eschews titles for historical reasons.)

So if you feel like citing my contribution to this discussion, please call
me

Mike Salovesh
<m-salovesh-9 at alumni.uchicago.edu>
PEACE !!!