Raspberry column and "verbal skills"

P. Kerim Friedman kerim.list at oxus.net
Wed Sep 3 15:44:46 UTC 2003

What does it mean to be a very bright baby?

We know from language acquisition and other child development studies
that all children go through the same developmental stages, even if
some do it at different times than others. This research seems to be
based on basic tasks such as arranging colored blocks or tying shoes.
But it isn't clear to me what aspects of "intelligence" these tasks are
actually measuring. Concentration? Following instructions? Pattern
recognition? I wonder if using Howard Gardner's notion of multiple
intelligences might have led to very different test results.

The other article discusses the fact that only 14% of Britain's working
class go to university. Now, this is clearly a statistic that varies by
country. Assuming (for the sake of argument) that all working class
people have restricted vocabularies, it seems that educational
differences would have to account for much of the variation.

- kerim