[Linganth] Panel looking for meeting space

Adam Hodges adam.hodges at colorado.edu
Wed Oct 27 21:54:34 UTC 2004

Dear Bay area scholars,

I'm looking for a place in the San Francisco area where the panel I have
organized for AAA could still meet on November 19.  It is a double panel
with about ten scholars, most are coming from overseas and have unchangeable
plane tickets (so a majority of the panel will be in San Francisco
regardless.)  We would love to find a university willing to host our panel
so we can present and discuss our work with anyone interested in attending.
If you belong to a department or organization at a Bay area university and
would be interested in hosting us, please let me know.  The panel
description is below, and the topic may be of interest to scholars from
various disciplines, including linguistics, communication, media studies,
anthropology, sociology, etc.

Many thanks,
Adam

DISCOURSE, WAR, AND TERRORISM
Volunteered session for 2004 AAA annual meeting
San Francisco, November 17-21

Panel Organizers:
Adam Hodges adam.hodges at colorado.edu
Chad Nilep chad.nilep at colorado.edu
Dept. of Linguistics
Univ. of Colorado at Boulder

SESSION ABSTRACT
Language is a primary tool used in the construction of cultural
understandings; and discourses in the aftermath of September 11, 2001 have
provided the frameworks through which the world now views global terrorism.
This panel explores the discursive production of identities, ideologies, and
collective understandings of terrorism in light of the Bush administration’s
ongoing “war on terror.”  At issue are how enemies are defined and
identified, how political leaders and citizens react, and how societies
collectively understand their position in the world vis-à-vis terrorism.
Intimately involved in the production of cultural understandings are the
media, and importantly tied to the language used by political leaders are
ideologies that drive policy.

This panel joins scholars from around the world and across disciplines to
analyze these issues.  In particular, the narrative of the “war on terror”
is examined in light of the Bush administration’s ideological stance
vis-à-vis terrorism as a military war.  The discourse and actions of the
administration are looked at within the larger post-Cold War context to
explain the conflation of Osama bin Laden and Saddam Hussein in the
discourse of the New World Order.  Reactions to the “war on terror”
discourse are viewed in places such as Serbia, where intellectuals see the
global war against terrorism as an opportunity to upgrade their country's
position on the international stage and revive Serbia's myth as “defender of
the West.”  A gendered perspective looks at the Bush administration’s war of
liberation in light of the masculinization of the Arab population in the
United States and the simultaneous emasculation within the Arab world.

The panel takes a close look at the media’s role in shaping reactions to and
creating cultural understandings of terrorism.  Media reports of AP and
Reuters are examined with regard to the portrayal of emotions such as fear,
worry, and concern.  The formation of Arab identities is examined in stories
that appear in the New York Times and Christian Science Monitor, where
“Arab” is used to describe alternately a religion, a phenotype, a region, a
language, and a nationality, sometimes in the same article.  The explicit,
implicit, and presupposed discursive strategies used in titles and subtitles
of the French language Swiss press to construct negative identities of the
Other in the Iraq war are analyzed.  Finally, the Bakhtinian notion of
heteroglossia and the dialogic construction of meaning are used to explore
the processes by which Western discourses on terrorism are entextualized by
program moderators, guests, and callers in Aljazeera talk shows.

Adam Hodges
Department of Linguistics
University of Colorado

« Le véritable voyage de découverte ne