[Linganth] Substitute x for y

Martin Walsh kisutu at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 1 13:55:51 UTC 2005

Re fish & chips twice.  Galey asks "Is there any item like fish and chips
which comes with an non-countable and a countable?"  I can't immediately
think of an English English example that parallels "fish & chips twice"
apart from variations on the same (e.g. "pie & chips twice).  This leads me
to wonder whether our English English fish & chips twice has become frozen
(as it were) as a construction that's limited to this one common context in
which asking for two countables & a non-countable would otherwise be
ambiguous.  But I'm usually more concerned about the amount of chips that
I'm getting than the linguistic expression of quantity, so wouldn't be
surprised to learn that there are other examples past and/or present out
there.

The jokes and English expatriate anguish make it clear that "fish & chips
twice" is a regional / subcultural idiom, puzzling also to the Chinese staff
in my local take-away (where food doesn't come on a plate or anything like
it, but is wrapped in paper, sometimes each item separately and sometimes as
combinations of one fish & one portion of chips).  Ordering "two fish
suppers" as Alex does in Scotland won't work in most of England and is also
the subject of humorous comment on the internet.  Jennifer suggests that I
should ask for "two orders of fish & chips", but in my English a food order
is something more inclusive, e.g. it's possible to talk about or even ask
for "two orders of fish & chips twice", referring say to my order and
someone else's.  Still, I may be wrong, so I'm now waiting for my
health-conscious wife's permission to rigorously test this and other
hypotheses in a carefully selected sample of fish & chip shops, ethnic
take-aways and fast food restaurants.

Martin

Dr. Martin T. Walsh
Department of Social Anthropology