[Linganth] Re: [ANTHRO-L] Is "motherese" universal?

Harriet J. Ottenheimer mahafan at ksu.edu
Sat Jan 1 10:19:31 UTC 2005

What fun to see all of this on a new year's eve.  Of course the topic is
way to deep for quick responses, and there is so much to contribute that
it's difficult to know where to begin.

It's important to note, at the very least however, that Falk seems only
to be thinking of spoken language, and to be completely ignoring Signed
language, which is, according to all evidence, just as much Language as
is any spoken variety, and which is quite likely to have been possible
even earlier than spoken language.  And surely Falk can't be defining
language as just grunting!

It's also worth noting the proposed scenarios are somewhat flawed.  If
you are trying not to attract the attention of predators then you really
shouldn't be making noises in an attempt to keep your baby from making
noises.  And anyone who thinks you have to put your baby down in order
to pick something up probably doesn't have much experience carrying
babies around.

The whole topic of how language is even possible and when it might have
become possible is endlessly fascinating.  I've put a long chapter on it
in my (forthcoming) linganth textbook.

Cheers, all, and best new year's wishes.

Harriet Ottenheimer