[Linganth] Fwd: Re: Is "motherese" universal?

Ronald Kephart rkephart at unf.edu
Sun Jan 2 01:57:07 UTC 2005

Susan Ervin-Tripp asked me to forward this to Anthro-L. Since it
didn't come thru (for me, anyway) on Linganth, I am forwarding it
there also; apologies if it's redundant. I had no idea that what I
thought was a simple question would snowball quite like this. I was
pondering how to engage Dean Falk myself, and I'm glad someone else
has done so. I also have some thoughts of my own about the model, but
I'm trying to get a paper together for LSA next week and I need some
extra processing time. Thanks to all for the discussion so far!  -Ron

Begin forwarded message ==============================

I thought it a bit odd to talk among ourselves about Dean Falk's position
without including her. So I wrote her a summary of seven main points in
the Linganth comments.  She just sent me her website URL where
you will find both the BBS article listed (it will be published shortly),
and her replies to the many linguists and others who made protests.
http://www.anthro.fsu.edu/people/faculty/falk.html

It is the custom of BBS to solicit such exchanges, which makes for fun reading.
I would suggest reading it and then continuing the discussion.
Also, when BBS comes out we can see the  commentaries to which
she replied.

Even if your library doesn't buy BBS online or on paper, you can read
her article and replies and interpolate some of the critiques.

Susan Ervin-Tripp