[Linganth] Re: Is "motherese" universal?

Kathryn Woolard kwoolard at ucsd.edu
Sun Jan 2 23:10:04 UTC 2005

Since I haven't seen either the NYT report or the journal article,
I'm wary of contributing to this discussion - it feels uncomfortably
like the "Dame Edna" uproar of a while back. But Dean Falk gave a
colloquium in my department two years ago  on exactly this material
and thesis, so that's the basis of my comment here. At that talk, I
expressed  many of the same concerns you've all been discussing here.
It was apparent in our exchange that she (Dean Falk is a woman) had
never heard of or read Ochs and Schieffelin's work. (I think I
remember that she was relying primarily on a psycholinguist's review
of the literature for the claim that "we now know" that all societies
have motherese, despite some earlier reports to the contrary.)  After
the talk I told her how to spell O & S's names, mentioned the
principal refs. and urged her to look at them. Roy D'Andrade and
other audience members tackled Falk's conception of what language is
and the ethnocentric - actually egocentric, since she announced that
her view of universals of mothering was based on her own experience
as a mother -  ideas about childcare and childcarrying. It was an
extended, quite impassioned and very critical discussion, and,  as I
mentioned above, the relevant ling. anthro. refs. were urged upon
Falk. So it's not opportunity or awareness that's missing here.

A written comment to the journal seems likely to be in order. But
it's really important that those concerned about this argument  read
Falk's own article carefully. I recall that she  defines motherese in
terms of a very very few features ( I think  exaggerated intonation
contour was one of them, but I'm not sure), not  the register of
"babytalk" , e.g. as described by Ferguson or by Ochs &
Schieffelin/Heath for American middle-class whites. Falk's narrow
definition might actually fit brief early stages of mother-child
interaction in more societies than we are accustomed to talk about.
(do I have a vague recollection of Elinor Ochs reporting a fleeting
early infant stage in Samoa that looked more like this?)

Kit

Kathryn A. Woolard			kwoolard at ucsd.edu
Professor				Phone: (858) 534-4639
Department of Anthropology, 0532		Fax :     (858) 534-5946
UCSD
9500 Gilman Drive
La Jolla, CA 92093-0532