[Linganth] Is "motherese" universal?

Chad Nilep Chad.Nilep at colorado.edu
Mon Jan 3 14:58:50 UTC 2005

[This message is not being posted to Anthro-L, as I don't subscribe. Feel free
to forward.]

A draft of Dr. Falk's forthcoming "Prelinguistic evolution in early hominins:
Whence motherese?" is at:
http://www.bbsonline.org/Preprints/Falk/Referees/

Quoting one relevant line, "Despite several ‘flawed’ studies to the contrary
(Monnot 1999), Monnot marshals strong support for the hypothesis that ID
[infant-directed] speech that is characterized by a simplified vocabulary,
more repetition, exaggerated vowels, higher overall tone, wider range of tone,
and slower tempo is a universal trait among modern humans."

Monnot, M. (1999) Function of infant-directed speech. Human Nature 10:415-443.

Reading Falk's responses to commentaries
<http://www.bbsonline.org/Preprints/Falk/Falk.Response.html> (I can't locate
the original commentaries) suggests that she has little interest in the sort
of critiques raised on this list. "There are only a few assertions with which
I categorically disagree, such as the argument by Rosenberg et al. that
motherese is not really universal (addressed in 2.2. of the target article and
in the commentary by Monnot et al.), and the statement by Bouissac that I
assert that 'ontogeny recapitulates phylogeny.'"

As Professor Woolard suggests, the reason for this categorical disagreement
appears to be at least partially based on personal experience, as well as
review of psycholinguistic literature. "Put a baby in my arms and I cannot
refrain from producing sing-song streams of baby talk, punctuated by attention-
getting clicks and breathy intakes of air, all of which are accompanied by a
barrage of gentle bouncing.  From reading the literature on language
acquisition, I began to realize that motherese occurs all over the world, that
babies like it, and that it is important for (among other things) their
eventual acquisition of language." (from Falk's introduction to her responses)

-Chad Nilep

--
Chad D. Nilep                         Rien ne serait pire pour
Department of Linguistics             l'humanité que de progresser