[Linganth] Substitute x for y

Martin Walsh kisutu at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 31 19:56:35 UTC 2005

I sympathise with Ronald's wife because I too get 'substitute' muddled,
thinking that I can just substitute it for (with?) 'exchange'.  But then I
also have trouble making myself understood when I go to our local Chinese
take-away and ask for fish and chips twice, I mean fish and chips two times,
two fish and chips, two fish and two chips, two of everything, oh yes and a
pot of curry sauce, no, only one of those...

Martin Walsh
Cambridge, England