[Linganth] Substitute x for y

kathryn Woolard kwoolard at ucsd.edu
Mon Jan 31 19:34:49 UTC 2005

I think Robert Lawless asks the right question. I've seen this
pattern in English written by speakers of Spanish as a first
language, including many of my university colleagues.  I believe
"substituir por"  and "substititute for" are faux amis; "substituir
por" is equivalent to the English "replace with."

Kit Woolard

Kathryn A. Woolard		kwoolard at ucsd.edu
Professor of Anthropology
Department of Anthropology, 0532
9500 Gilman Drive
University of California, San Diego
La Jolla, CA 92093-0532

Office phone: 858/534--4639                Fax:
858/534-5946