Technology, Lexicon, Professionalism

Patrick, Peter L patrickp at essex.ac.uk
Mon Dec 18 12:57:07 UTC 2006

>>... despite the usual quality of their coverage, the BBC went for the
"kids these days" angle.
>>What got me in this coverage ...is that it mostly seemed to reify
tired categories instead of
>> using this as an opportunity to see the actual connections ...
Sounds about like the BBC I know, esp online.
As a N American living in the UK since 1998, I'm familiar with the
tendency to have exaggerated respect (over there) for British newsmedia
(over here) - they don't deserve it. The lack of depth in coverage of
local politics (except for London), in particular, is appalling here,
and the tendency not to systematically supply background information
seems an unhealthy combination of parochialism and elitism - "if you
don't already know what we're referring to, you ought to, and we
certainly won't explain". Eg, any N American newspaper (and they are
frequently appalling in other respects - this is not a matter of
chauvinism) would, on first mention, have said something like, "Retail
giant Tesco blah blah..."
            -p-
Peter L Patrick
Dept. of Language and Linguistics