Clicks

Ronald Kephart rkephart at unf.edu
Tue Mar 28 01:11:43 UTC 2006

All,

In the March 2006 issue of National Geographic (yeah, I can hear the
groans), there's an article on the migration of human DNA out of
Africa. And on page 66, there's this:

"The San communicate with clicks to keep from spooking game-- a
feature that is also found in languages spoken by other African
groups who carry ancient DNA markers."

So.... two questions:

(1) Do any serious linguists believe that the San or their ancestors
chose to put clicks in their languages to keep from "spooking game"?

(b) Is the implication warranted that because the San carry "ancient
DNA markers" therefore unusual features of their language, such as
clicks, are therefore also vestiges of the ancient language spoken by
their ancestors?

Ron

PS: I'm not going to write to the National Geographic; I tried that
once, years ago, and was told more or less to "bugger off, we're the
National Geographic and we know everything."