Clicks

Eve Danziger ed8c at cms.mail.virginia.edu
Tue Mar 28 16:16:25 UTC 2006

--On Tuesday, March 28, 2006 10:05 AM -0500 Ronald Kephart
<rkephart at unf.edu> wrote:

I don't
> (necessarily) read into Shreeve's statement any notion
> that San DNA codes for click consonants; my charitable
> reading is that since San DNA appears to reflect a
> long-lasting lineage, an unusual (from a non-San
> perspective) feature such as clicks are also long-lasting
> remnants of the language spoken earlier in the lineage's
> history. It just seems to me that their rarity could just
> as easily reflect a fairly recent innovation.

I think you're being too charitable. Why else refer to the
other African groups who also "carry ancient DNA" and who
also use clicks, unless to appear to be bringing evidence
in favor of the position that the DNA and the clicks go
together?  At the very least, this is an invited inference
from the collocation.

 "The San communicate with clicks to keep from spooking
game-- a feature that is also found in languages spoken by
other African groups who carry ancient DNA markers."

The position that clicks represent an "ancient" way of
doing language is not at all new (although reprehensible
and now discredited). The link in the original version was
between the rarity of this phonology and the
"primitiveness" (on 19th century scales of cultural
evolution) of subsistence and technology among the San. But
what's really noteworthy to me in this NGS passage is in
fact the translation of this old stuff into the
hyper-modern idiom of genetics. It's only because we had
the 19th century notion that the San were somehow "ancient"
in the first place that we could commit the (bio)logical
absurdity of imagining that 21st century DNA is any older
in one part of the world than another.

Eve

P.S. There is perhaps some room for charity/ deniability in
the way the sentence is structured. Maybe the clause "who
carry ancient DNA markers" could be read to apply only to
the other groups, as a piece of colorful specification
about them -- "also found in languages spoken by other
African groups, who wear interesting hats". In that case
the passage says nothing at all about San DNA. But note
that I've had to add a comma to get that reading.