Linguistic and Genetic Diversity (was: Clicks)

Alexandre Enkerli enkerli at gmail.com
Tue Mar 28 16:24:33 UTC 2006

Adi Hastings wrote:
> I was frankly surprised and alarmed to hear job talks which referred
> linguistic and genetic phenotypic groupings without distinction.
As Ron put us in the mood to be charitable...
Maybe these references are more like vague analogies than actual
assumptions about links between the two? Several language scientists
seem to use similar analogies, looking at linguistic classifications as
analogous to biological classifications. Some even call language
families a "genetic model" and mutual intelligibility to delimit
languages seems quite close a criterion to inter-fecundity in delimiting
species (among non-biologists).
Daniel Netlle goes even further and links biological and linguistic
diversities in a more deterministic manner. Didn't get good critiques
from students on the subject yet but it's interesting to unpack these
notions. Not that they're completely absurd. In fact, Nettle's model
problematizes some widely-held (among non-biologists) notions of
biological diversity and the determinism has more to do with cultural
ecology than with neo-evolutionism (though the two are clearly linked).

Call me naive but isn't it possible that genetics have become so
prominent in "popular science" that a folk model of biology serves as
the basis for some of our basic tropes in para-academic discourse?
More importantly, is there money available for a project to map the
linguistic genome? ;-)

Alexandre
http://enkerli.wordpress.com/