Jokes across cultures

K.E. Hoffman khoffman at northwestern.edu
Mon Nov 13 00:32:51 UTC 2006

Hi folks,
A colleague asked me about linguistic anthropological work on joking in
cross-cultural perspective.  Freud writes we have the urge to tell a joke
as soon as we hear it, and we keep a straight face until the recipient gets
it.  Any proof of this in other cases than Vienna or the US, or refutation
of this, or just some other takes?

Someone on this list probably has a full syllabus on jokes (not just joking
as a key but jokes themselves of whatever form).

Apologies for the query so close to AAA.

Thanks,
Katherine Hoffman

Katherine E. Hoffman, PhD
Assistant Professor