humor

Susan Ervin-Tripp ervintripp at berkeley.edu
Mon Nov 13 07:02:54 UTC 2006

There will be at least three panels on humor at the International Pragmatics
Conference in Goteborg, Sweden next July.

"Jokes" in the conventional sense of a retold genre are rare in the data of
American conversational analysts. Usually joking, the exchange of
laughter during
conversation about intentionally humorous stories and comments, involves both
the teller and the hearer in laughter. It is possible that in long
retolds with a punchline, or
even skilled telling of a switch-ending story, people deliberately
with-hold cues of humor.

However, what we usually see is that the teasing and humorous banter
in conversations
of friends precisely doesn't restrain laughter, in fact the mood of
humor is crucial in
permitting the damaging revelations about the self or the other that
are the stuff of
such intimate humor. We will have lots of examples in our session on
self-revealing humor.

However, it is certainly conceivable that some genres of skilled
retold jokes require
not laughing, in some cultural milieux. We hope by talking about
these issues at an
international conference that we can stoke some contrastiing evidence.

Susan Ervin-Tripp