Cliches

Jim Wilce jim.wilce at nau.edu
Sun Feb 4 17:58:55 UTC 2007

I tried to send this response to Ron Kephart yesterday. Here it is …

Jim

I think it's important to recognize here, as in all instances, the role
of language ideologies, and also perhaps to introduce (or at least keep
in mind since all of them might not go over equally well on air) notions
like text, interdiscursive chains, and circulation.

First, some sort of an ideology of language that views the individual as
author of her utterance, and valorizes individual creativity/authorship
over anything like conventionality. The connections of such an ideology
to broader cultural patterns need not be mentioned here.

Then, it seems perfectly obvious to me that what we call clichés are
texts and circulate as such, having managed by some feat of
entextualization to move beyond some initiatory event of use, some
baptismal event, and to circulate with more or (increasingly) less
conscious reference back to such an event. In cases where such baptismal
events are mass mediated—and here we have idioms that come into popular
use from, for example, films—users might feel that they add some sort of
luster to their speech by indexically anchoring it to such origins
(Savan 2005).

Asif Agha's just-released book, Language and Social Relations, provides
excellent background to such issues as interdiscursive chains. On the
circulation of even smaller bits of "text" (as small as particular uses
of "we," see Greg Urban's 2001 book, Metaculture).

Savan, Leslie
2005 Popspeak. New York Times Magazine July 10, 2005 p. 16. (You can
find a copy here:
http://andeesworld.blogspot.com/2005/07/popspeak-by-leslie-savan.html)

--
Striving to teach and publish the best in linguistic anthropology--an ethnographic approach to the analysis of semiotic and discursive forms in relation to sociocultural processes

Jim Wilce, Professor of Anthropology
Editor, Blackwell Studies in Discourse and Culture
Box 15200
Northern Arizona University
Flagstaff AZ 86011-5200
Bldg. 98D, Room 101E