Cliches

Alexandre Enkerli enkerli at gmail.com
Sun Feb 4 23:45:05 UTC 2007

Jim,

Thinking out loud again, but it's quite useful to me.

This one is another good reference to keep in mind. (It's actually
putting me back on track on some issues I had put on a back-burner...)

Musical improvisation and informal conversations have a lot in common,
even though music is often performance (heightened, marked) while
conversations are unmarked, report-level, «degré zéro». What Parry and
Lord didn't expand upon is that formulas have semiotic roles to play.
They're "salient signs," in the way I tend to think about them. Some
licks in Jazz improv (like some samples in Hip Hop) are easily
recognised by "those in the know" and fitting such a formula where it
doesn't seem to belong is seen as an important dimension of the
performer's proficiency.
Of course, an important difference between music and conversation in
this context (as mentioned by Feld and Fox and described by McLeod) is
that some form of repetition, if not redundancy, is expected in music.
Which is one of the reasons some analysts (say, Lévi-Strauss) see
Jakobson-style parallelism in poetic and other performative discourse
as equivalent to musicality.

I initially reacted to Ron's post on the first point: controversy over
"clichédness." As a French-speaker, it still puzzles me how negatively
"clichés" are viewed among U.S. English-speakers *when people start
evaluating performance* (again, the Word Nerds case was pretty
striking to me). In French, we do talk negatively about «lieux
communs», but they seem to cover broad thoughts, not phrases.
Maybe I'm simplifying too much at this point but it seems to me that a
major difference between the language ideologies with which I am
confronted has to do with "granularity." In one case, short phrases
(and even single lexemes, if not morphemes!) are evaluated negatively
when used. In the other one, "chunks" of text can be evaluated
negatively is they aren't brought as a new idea but the use of, say,
someone else's buzzphrases is evaluated positively by default,
especially if the original author ("coiner") is well-recognised by the
group. My favourite set of examples comes from chanson (folk-like
"message songs," often performed by singer-songwriters). Pretty much
like "popular culture references" in the U.S. (apparently, Family Guy
is full of them), the use of a line from a well-known chanson is often
marked as artful, even in seemingly non-performance contexts like
informal conversation. Similarly (to me), «calembour»-style puns are
positively perceived, as part of seemingly unmarked conversation.
Now, in praise-songs for Malian hunters, there's a whole game of
playing with different people's knowledge of the reference for
"clichés." Formulas are not just used as a way to save time while
thinking up masterful ideas, they're part of an arsenal with which
hunter-singers assess their power over hunters. Far from connoting
"unthinking and uncreative usage," use of formulas is assumed to carry
hidden meanings.

--
Alexandre
http://enkerli.wordpress.com/