Cliches

Larry Gorbet lgorbet at unm.edu
Mon Feb 5 01:18:11 UTC 2007

I am a little surprised that the discussion here
of what clichés are seems to ignore for the most
part actual usage of that word. Neither
repetition nor popular cultural reference is
remotely diagnostic of the kind of language use
that is commonly referred to as "cliché".

I would put forth the (only) definition from the
Collins COBUILD _English Dictionary for Advanced
Learners_, a choice I make because the COBUILD
definitions seem to do a *much* better job than
traditional British or American dictionaries of
capturing how words are actually used. If,
however, most common traditional dictionaries are
consulted, rather similar definitions are found.
The COBUILD definition is:

"A cliché is an idea or phrase which has been
used so much that it is no longer interesting or
effective or no longer has much meaning."

The kinds of ritual, literary, or, for that
matter, musical examples that have mostly been
given in this thread fail the given criterion.
Obviously many phrases occur in speech or writing
much more frequently than many clichés but are
*not* judged to be clichés. For example, in
American English, the spoken phrases "took out
the garbage", "you and I", and "worth it" are not
clichés, but are more frequent than, say, "no
pain, no gain", "today is the first day of the
rest of your life", or "blow your own horn",
which *are* clichés.

Though this is clearly not part of the folk
definition of cliché, I suspect that what, in
cognitive terms, underlies judgments that a
phrase is a "cliché" is the notion of *over*use.
That is, if we imagine the producer of a phrase
searching (unconsciously, in general) for the
particular words and phrases they will use to
express their ideas, then we think they have
produced a cliché if a certain expression shows
up more frequently than (again, unconsciously) we
feel that it would show up from the normal
"encoding process" of language use. Its
appearance is "suspicious" as the product of a
"fair" search, just as someone's winning too
often in a supposedly random drawing might be.
The more evidently figurative or ornate an
expression is, the more likely it is to be judged
a cliché if used very frequently. Notice that by
this kind of criterion, both ordinary, high
frequency expressions that are motivated by
simple aptness or conventional usage *and*
unconventional but at least fairly original
expressions would be excluded from being clichés.

- Larry

Larry Gorbet                         lgorbet at unm.edu
Anthropology & Linguistics Depts.    (505) 883-7378
University of New Mexico
Albuquerque, NM, U.S.A.