AAA panel on "queer excursions" in ling anth and socioling.

joshua raclaw Joshua.Raclaw at colorado.edu
Fri Jan 26 18:35:30 UTC 2007

Apologies for cross-posting.

Dear Colleagues,

In preparation for the next AAA, Jenny Davis and I are planning to organize an
SLA panel on language, gender, and sexuality that focuses on linguistic
practice within divergent communities that haven't traditionally been
represented in
sociolinguistics and linguistic anthropology.  The aim of the panel is to not
only showcase new work that expands the scope of our field, but to serve as a
rebuttal for recent critiques of work on language and sexuality that have
framed it as little more than research on gay and lesbian language.

We're seeking contributions that pull from any major analytical framework for
the study of language and communication, and that consider ideas about
gendered and sexualized practices, identities, and desires.  Our own work
focuses on sociolinguistic issues of polyamorous practice and identity and
contemporary two-spirit identity, respectively.  Possible issues could include,
but certainly are not limited to:

bisexuality or pansexuality
kink, fetish, BDSM
polyamory, swinging, or other non-monogamy
asexuality
queer heterosexualities
transgender
intersex
various "third" and "fourth" genders
genderqueer or genderfuck
pornography
"non-traditional" representations of masculinities and femininities
global/historical perspectives on gender and/or sexuality

Please contact Jenny (jennifer.davis at colorado.edu) or myself
(raclaw at colorado.edu) if interested.

Thanks,

Joshua