accent reduction

jschlege at kutztown.edu jschlege at kutztown.edu
Sat Jun 9 11:25:05 UTC 2007

In addition to socioeconomic status, there's immigration status to consider. Perhaps another layer is buying one's way out of
discirimination: the simplistic notions that if one "sounds" American one probably "is" American and its converse are alive in
well in the populace. Unfortunately, "sounding" American is all too limited.

Truly, the English-Only people are really "English-Only with an American accent" people.

BTW - I'm always trying to weave Lippi-Green's work into my classes.

Jen

Jennifer Schlegel, Ph. D.
jschlege at kutztown.edu
Department of Anthropology/Sociology