"That's so gay" controversy

Leila Monaghan monaghan at indiana.edu
Sun Mar 11 20:43:03 UTC 2007

I've always thought that Konraad Kuiper's article on the language young
men use to abuse each other in a New Zealand rugby team provides useful
background to these insults.  These New Zealanders don't use
gay-oriented slurs as much as female-oriented slurs (men calling each
other "fucking slags" and "girl's blouses") but the result is very much
the same, control of men and their sexuality.

Kuiper, Koenraad (2007) Sporting Formulae in New Zealand English: Two
Models of Male Solidarity (chapter 29) in L. Monaghan and J. Goodman _A
Cultural Approach to Interpersonal Communication_ Oxford: Blackwell (is
a reprint from somewhere elsewhere, can dig up if you need it).

best,

Leila

--
Leila Monaghan, PhD