"That's so gay" controversy

Kephart, Ronald rkephart at unf.edu
Mon Mar 12 17:39:46 UTC 2007

On 3/12/07 11:40 AM, "Robert Lawless" <robert.lawless at wichita.edu> wrote:

> I certainly haven't heard that in a long, long while. Has it completely gone
> out of style? Or is it just that I have no acquaintance with private boys'
> schools?
>
> At 10:00 AM 3/12/2007, Kephart, Ronald wrote: All this reminds me of my first
> teaching job, at an exclusive private boys¹ school here in Jacksonville,
> Florida, 1969-70. On any day that I didn¹t assign homework, >> somebody was
> sure to say ³that¹s really white of you, Mr. Kephart.²

Robert, to be honest, I don¹t think I¹ve heard it since then, only in that
specific time and place. The school in question is no longer exclusively
³white,² by the way; they let pretty much anyone with money in now.

I should add that this was real culture shock for me back then, coming as I
did from an already-integrated school system. And, it was part of what drove
me into the Peace Corps.

Ron