What language barrier?

Kerim Friedman oxusnet at gmail.com
Fri Oct 5 01:15:03 UTC 2007

List members will be interested to know that The Guardian UK has
published an excerpt from Deborah Cameron's new book The Myth of Mars
and Venus:

http://tinyurl.com/yq43o7

Quote: "In relation to men and women, our most basic stereotypical
expectation is simply that they will be different rather than the
same. We actively look for differences, and seek out sources that
discuss them. Most research studies investigating the behaviour of men
and women are designed around the question: is there a difference? And
the presumption is usually that there will be. If a study finds a
significant difference between male and female subjects, that is
considered to be a "positive" finding, and has a good chance of being
published. A study that finds no significant differences is less
likely to be published."

- Kerim
P. Kerim Friedman, Ph.D.
Department of Indigenous Cultures