Attachments, anyone?

Damien Hall halldj at BABEL.LING.UPENN.EDU
Fri Jul 4 18:54:55 UTC 2008

On the question of whether or not to allow HTML e-mails, I tend to agree that
HTML is not necessary, but I won't vote against it because, for many of the
lists I'm currently subscribed to, the individual subscriber has the option of
whether or not to receive HTML in e-mails.  As I say, I tend to find it's not
necessary, so I have HTML disabled for all my lists (and therefore the e-mails
come through in ASCII).  If anyone else really wants HTML, though, we could
just go to a server that allows the user to make the choice.  I would continue
not to have HTML in my e-mails, and others could have it if they wanted it.

On the question of attachments, no, not everyone has a website.  But I still do
agree that allowing attachments on the list might not be a good idea, for the
reasons previously mentioned (mainly virus-related).  If anyone has information
to share that is already in a non-e-mail format, they can either put it online
if they can, or otherwise offer to send it to interested parties in an off-list
e-mail.  Again,  this is only what's always worked for me, but others may not
feel the same!

Damien Hall
University of Pennsylvania