Transcription (Urdu, Arabic)

Ronald Kephart rkephart at UNF.EDU
Thu Jul 10 18:45:17 UTC 2008

On 7/10/08 1:23 PM, "Liz Ronkin" <liz.ronkin at GMAIL.COM> wrote:

> Can anyone suggest a terrific reading on Sapir-Whorf (15 pages-ish) suitable
> for very bright first-year undergraduates in Introduction to Cultural
> Anthropology who have a mini-module on language and communication?
> Thanks,
> Maggie

Maggie,

You have "bright" and "first-year undergraduates" in the same sentence?
Where is this, and can I get a job there?

Anyways... Does this article have to explicitly mention Sapir and Whorf, or
can be it on the theme of cultural relativity without doing so? I have in
mind M. J. Hardman's article "The Sexist Circuits of English" which appeared
in The Humanist (March/April 1996, pp.25-32). She introduces her notion of
linguistic postulates in the context of comparing Jaqi languages like Aymara
with English. It should be accessible for this level student, I think.

I can send you a pdf of the article, if you'd like to have a look.

Ron