Ethical approval for collecting linguistic data

galey modan gmodan at GMAIL.COM
Sun Oct 19 14:54:57 UTC 2008

Although this research seems a good candidate for 'exempt' status if
no identifying data are collected, I think it goes too far to consider
the informants in a study like this to be research assistants or
collaborators. Generally, research assistants are paid what usually
amounts to at least minimum wage, or receive some other substantive,
tangible benefit (like course credit, being able to put it on a
resume, etc.), and collaborators participate in the design and
planning of a research project (in other words, they have influence
over what questions the research asks, how the data is collected,
etc), have a stake in the research, and have rights of authorship and
authority over how the research is disseminated, as well as receive
credit for it. It's true that the experimental model is not
well-suited to vet ethnographic research, but just because our
informants aren't "subjects" in the experimental sense, doesn't mean
that the power dynamics of ethnographic research are necessarily all
that different. I think it's important to distinguish between true
collaborative work -- in which the anthropologist may have to
compromise in terms of what's being investigated -- and work in which
the people we talk to or listen to are informants, because, no matter
how close our relationships are with them and how much they might be
willing to or even enjoy participating in the research, they don't
have an equal voice in determining the research questions and they
don't benefit in the same tangible ways as researchers do.

Galey