Ethical approval for collecting linguistic data

Claire Bowern clairebowern at GMAIL.COM
Mon Oct 20 13:58:39 UTC 2008

There are a couple of issues. I'd suggest you meet with one or more
members of your IRB and explain exactly what you're doing. IRBs tend not
to have linguists or anthropologists on them so they might be assuming
you're doing something quite different from your actual research. The
rules can be quite different from country to country so answers for the
US or Australia won't necessarily help you in Hong Kong (and presumably
China has rules about researchers and what permits, etc they need too).

You should think about the ethics of *not* recording as well as the
ethics of recording. If the language is endangered, records like this
can be important, so rich data are vital.

Claire