Alaskan?

Alexander King a.king at ABDN.AC.UK
Mon Sep 8 10:34:18 UTC 2008

Thanks to Hal for specifying the PNWC accent. Points 1,3 certainly
hold for my vowels (I was born and raised in the Puget Sound area)
although point 2 less so. In thinking about unrounded high-back, it
strikes me as perhaps being more associated with more working class/
rural speech. (When I say those words in #2 I am immediately reminded
of kids from Seabeck or the Olympic peninsula). I may be wrong, as I
have been in Europe for 8 years and visit Seattle only occasionally.
When I went to college in Portland, OR, more than one NEster
commented on my accent, and even a SoCal thought I talked 'weird'.

Palin moved to AK when she was 3, so I doubt there is much Idaho
influence. I wasn't paying that close attention to accent when I was
in Fairbanks last summer, but it seemed that many Alaskans sounded a
lot like Washingtonians. However, I noticed in conversations that
many Alaskans often turned out to be from the PNW or their parents were.

In reference to Hal's last paragraph, when I moved to
Charlottesville, VA for grad school, I often felt I WAS in a foreign
country, especially when talking to locals in shops or driving around
rural central Virginia. I regularly encountered accents and larger
patterns in speech never or rarely represented in the media. The
vowel qualities that Hal outlines are subtle differences and I think
most people will either not notice them or only be able to describe
them as 'talking funny'.

-Alex King