Alaskan?

Ronald Kephart rkephart at UNF.EDU
Mon Sep 8 13:50:39 UTC 2008

[Apologies in advance for cross-posting to Anthro-L]

On 9/7/08 9:34 PM, "Harold Schiffman" <haroldfs at GMAIL.COM> wrote:

> The most noticeable  thing about PNW English that I  can attest is that
> certain vowel contrasts...

Yeah, I knew it was the vowels, though I wasn't sure exactly what was going
on. By the way, over the weekend I was listening to "Car Talk" on NPR and a
woman called in from Anchorage, AK. My subjective impression of her accent
was that it was very similar to Palin's, and that again it was mainly the
vowels that I was noticing.

I still think that she, personally, and independent of her accent, also
sounds like she's talking down to her audience, as if they're small
children.

Ron