Alaskan

Robert Lawless robert.lawless at WICHITA.EDU
Mon Sep 8 14:24:31 UTC 2008

When I was a young school boy in a small Southern town, I, along with my
classmates, could easily identify as “foreign” the speech of anyone from
more than 40 miles away. When we went on football trips to towns in
other counties, we often talked among ourselves about the funny sounds
these “foreigners” made and tried to mimic their speech. I have since
lived in Chicago and Florida, New York City and San Francisco and points
in between as well as 12 years overseas and lost whatever regional
linguistic identification that I once had. I know for sure because
several years ago when I attended the wedding of one of my nephews in my
old hometown, his bride asked me, “You’re not from around here, are
you?” I replied, “Why, yes. I grew up here.” She shook her head and
said, “But you don’t sound like you’re from around here.” I think I also
lost my ability to hear the regional differences. I don’t mean the
differences between Brooklyn and Texas but the differences between
counties. I don’t have a linguistically trained ear but I do have the
linguistic sophistication of a trained four-field anthropologist. I’m
wondering whether I have actually lost that childhood ability to hear
“foreignness” or whether speech locally has generally become more
homogenized. Robert.