Concrete "how to" discourse analysis references

Ignasi Clemente ignasiclemente at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jun 4 19:59:41 UTC 2009

Hi Jeff,

I have encountered your problem many times when applying for funding
from NIH.  Here are some of my humble thoughts

First, use textbook definitions of everything, definitions of culture,
ethnography, discourse, participant observation... pick up whatever
textbook you have used to teach (or be taught) intro to cultural
anthro or ling anthro at the undergraduate level and use them.

Second, Janice Morse and the journal she edits, Qualitative Health
Research, is another good source of basic ways of explaining
qualitative research.

Third, Denzin and Lincoln's Handbook of Qualitative Research is good.
It contains a chapter written by David Silverman on analyzing talk and
text.

Fourth, Duranti's Linguistic Anthropology chapters 4 and 5, and of
course his appendix at the end of the book, are essential

Fifth, Charles  Briggs' Learning How to Ask: A Sociolinguistic
Appraisal of the Role of the Interview in Social Science Research
Cambridge & New York: Cambridge University Press, is another great
resource.

Sixth, because most of the people on the review panel familiar with
qualitative methods will be psychologists, social workers, and nurses
(there may be nobody familiar with qualitative methods at all) make
sure you cite scholars who they may know.  It will get you attention.
If you only cite anthropologists, they may have no idea who you are
citing.  I will be happy to provide you a few names if you want.

Seventh, if you want to use conversation analysis as one of your
methods, that would be a whole different set of methodological
references.   Again, let me know if you are interested in CA.

Finally, your job, as applicant (or supplicant, I like supplicant
better!) is to educate them about your methods, analyses and
rationales.  My experience has been that I cannot assume much.

Please let me know if I can help you with anything else.

Ignasi Clemente
Department of Anthropology
Hunter College CUNY