A White African-American : Ideology, Politic, Immigration, education, Language and Identity

Balosa, David balosa at LASALLE.EDU
Thu May 14 01:29:28 UTC 2009

Hi All,

Paulo Serodio is a 45 years-old White male born and bred in Monzambique, in southwest Africa, now a naturalized U.S. Citizen. He identifies himself as an African-American.  As a language analyst (language investigator), I find the case intriguing in terms of how identities are culturally and individually established. While I would appreciate if you could recommend some readings that share some insights on the subject, I would also like to hear your perspective on this question:

 Can Mr. Serodio definitely or definitely not  identify himself as an African-American?

You can read the full story at  http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=7567291&page=1

Obrigado,

David Balosa