Teaching linguistic anthropology courses online

Jim Wilce Jim.Wilce at NAU.EDU
Thu Nov 5 01:04:06 UTC 2009

Dear colleagues,

I am assuming that many of us teach hybrid courses with lots of online
resources, combined with face-to-face contact in lectures or seminars.
I'm wondering, however, about experiences you might have had with
teaching linguistic anthropology courses in an ALL online "environment."

I must say I've been taken aback in hearing "conversion stories" from
some respected local colleagues (not linguistic anthropologists) who
deeply distrusted the whole idea but have come to see it as potentially
very effective, and despite a streak of paranoia they feel their
intellectual property rights are adequately protected in offering
courses online. (On the downside, they also tell of investing huge
amounts of time in developing online courses.)

Until now I've only used Blackboard/Vista to supplement face-to-face
meetings with students, undergrad as well as grad. Hence my curiosity.

Best wishes,

Jim

--
Jim Wilce, Professor of Anthropology