CFP: Education and the Risk Society

Leila Monaghan leila.monaghan at GMAIL.COM
Sat Apr 2 02:45:59 UTC 2011

Hi, a call for papers from Steve Bialostok--see below for contact details.

I know this is very late - and I haven't even written an abstract yet - but
is there anyone out there hoping that someone (me!) organizes a session with
the title tentative title Education and the Risk Society: Discourses and
Identities in Educational Settings (or something out there)? You can take a
late modernity angle (e.g., Beck, Giddens), Foucaultian angle (e.g, Nik
Rose), anthropological perspective (e.g, Mary Douglas), or something else.
My own take is a hybric of linguistic anthro and Foucaultian sociology. Let
me know if you want to do this, and if I get a few bites, I'll write the
proposal this weekend.  Steve Bialostok (smb at uwyo.edu)

--
Leila Monaghan, PhD
Department of Anthropology