AV tools for teaching intro to ling anth (esp. films, youtubes, etc)

Alejandro Paz alejandro.paz at UTORONTO.CA
Wed Dec 14 15:31:00 UTC 2011

Dear Colleagues,

Thanks to one and all for the wonderful suggestions! I'm making my way
through them all, and I've talked to Alex Enkerli about compiling a list
for the SLA site, with some searchable tags.

Another one of my favorites, btw, to talk about Bakhtin's points of
re-voicing and interdiscursivity is to use the Soprano's episode 2, "46
Long," where Tony first discusses getting his mother into a retirement
home with his shrink and then in a later scene, tries to use that same
therapeutic voice (as if his own) to speak to his mother, without much
success.

Cheers,
Alejandro
Alejandro I. Paz
Assistant Professor of Anthropology and Humanities
University of Toronto Scarborough
Graduate Depts of Anthropology and Linguistics
University of Toronto
alejandro.paz at utoronto.ca