Intro Cultural Ethnographies?

Munoz, Kristine L kristine-fitch at UIOWA.EDU
Tue Mar 8 21:20:03 UTC 2011

I have used Dorinne Kondo's _Crafting Selves_ successfully; our undergrads find urban Tokyo an intrinsically interesting setting and are willing to be talked through the theoretical discussion to get to the good stories.

Kristine

Kristine L. Fitch
Professor
Communication Studies
105 BCSB
University of Iowa
Iowa City, IA  52242-1498

-----Original Message-----
From: Linguistic Anthropology Discussion Group [mailto:LINGANTH at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG] On Behalf Of Alexander King
Sent: Tuesday, March 08, 2011 2:30 PM
To: LINGANTH at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: [LINGANTH] Intro Cultural Ethnographies?

I think that Waveland Press is the place to go for ethnographies for
first and second year students. I used Nunavut Generations by Anne
McElroy in a second year course, and it is great. Her take is history
and historical perspective, but it covers lots of basics, including
fieldwork, the use of history, colonialism, cultural brokers,
indigenous people's rights. Most recently, I used The Headman was a
Woman by Kirk and Karen Endicott in our main first-year course (300
students), and it went over really well. The main theme there is
gender egalitarianism among Malaysian hunter-gatherers. It also covers
lots of other things, including fieldwork, relations with the state,
development, hunting and making a living from the forest. A third book
that I like, but haven't taught, is John Ziker's People of the Tundra.

These are all slim volumes with lots of pictures. Some have a sort of
study guide at the end, including sources for 'further reading'.
However, they are all serious monographs making important points
through detailed ethnography, so they aren't watered-down textbooks.
They have arguments, consider the published literature on a topic, and
demonstrate their points through ethnographic description and analysis.

Once I tried to use Benedict's Patterns of Culture with freshmen, and
it went over like a lead balloon. I have found students these days are
very resistant to 'classics', particularly by authors with a literary
voice. I am not sure why, but many even Victor Turner and Mary Douglas
from the 1960s so old fashioned in their prose style that they are
turned off. Personally, I love Malinowski and those old guys, but I
don't think I would ever assign more than a chapter to first years
from a book older than 1990, which is still before most freshmen were
born. However, I have gotten the same complaints from 'mature'
students--middle aged people sometimes my senior also find the old-
fashioned prose of Sapir or Evens-Pritchard unaccessible.

best
Alex

- tel:+44(1224)27 2732, fax:+44(1224)27 2552 - http://www.koryaks.net
- http://www.abdn.ac.uk/anthropology