Job announcement: English Dep't at Ohio State

galey modan gmodan at GMAIL.COM
Fri Sep 16 03:21:20 UTC 2011

Hi everyone,

Below is an announcement for a job in my department. Please forward to
qualified candidates. We're looking for a sociolinguistically- and/or
historically-minded assistant professor for our linguistics program. The
field is open, but we seek someone who can teach descriptive English
grammar, general linguistics, and the history of English from its beginnings
through to contemporary dialects around the world. (The reference below to
history of English refers more to teaching requirements than research
specialization.) We’re especially interested in candidates with expertise in
American dialects. If you’re interested or have any questions, feel free to
contact me at <modan.1 at osu.edu> . Below is the official ad, with info on how
to apply.

best,

Galey Modan

The Department of English at The Ohio State University invites applications
for a regular, tenure-track position at the assistant professor rank
specializing in the history of the English Language from earliest times to
the spread of global Englishes, effective August 2012. Training in
sociolinguistics and/or historical linguistics, possibly with an interest in
American dialects, would be an advantage. Preference will be given to
candidates whose interests integrate well with other areas of this large and
diverse department, which include all fields of English and American
literature, folklore, rhetoric, digital media, and literacy studies.
Responsibilities include teaching graduate and undergraduate classes in
English grammar and history of English (2:2 load), with opportunity for
special topics courses. Ph.D. in hand is required at time of
appointment. There will be preliminary interviews at the LSA and MLA
Conventions.
*Application Instructions:*  Send cover letter, C.V., three letters of
recommendation, and teaching transcript to Englishjobs at osu.edu, or mail to
Professor Richard Dutton, Chair, Department of English, Ohio State
University, 421 Denney Hall, 164 W. 17th Ave., Columbus, OH 43210. Screening
of applications will begin November 1, 2011 and will continue until the
position is filled.