query about fundamentalism

Elizabeth Spreng elispreng at AOL.COM
Mon Sep 19 13:24:56 UTC 2011

Hello all,
My students this semester have been asking about doing papers about fundamentalist/pentacostal  communities. Of course they are students of linguistic anthropology. However, since this not an area of my expertise, I thought I would inquire about accessible articles/books that they could use. I am familiar with Fader's 2005 article (and although it is a  very good article, it may not be the best suggestion for what they are interested in researching), but I had hoped that some of my collegues could assist me in thinking of other discussions in linguistic anthropology or ideas that would be useful.

I will also compose a bibliography/summary to capture  the dialogues that arise.

All best and thanks for your help,
Elizabeth Spreng
Assistant Professor
Kansas State University

Bibliography
Ammerman, Nancy
1994 Telling Congregational Stories. Review of Religious Research 35(4): 289-301.
Bauman, Richard
2008 Let Your Words Be Few: Symbolism of Speaking and Silence among Seventeenth Century
Quakers. Wheatmark.
Bialecki, James
2008 Between Stewardship and Sacrifice: Agency and Economy in a Southern California Charismatic Church. Journal of the Royal Anthropological Institute 14(2): 372-390.
2011 No Caller ID for the Soul: Demonization, Charisma, and the Unstable Subject pf Protestant Language Ideology.  Anthropological Quarterly 84(3): 679-703.
Bialecki, Jon, and Eric Hoenes
2011 Introduction: Beyond Logos: Extensions of the Language Ideology Paradigm in the Study of Global Christainity (-ies)." Anthropological Quarterly 84(3): 575-593.
Bielo, James
2009 Words upon the Word: An Ethnography of a Evangelical Group Bible Study. New York: Rutgers University Press.
2011a Emerging Evangelicals: Faith, Modernity, and the Desire for Authenticity. New York: NYU Press.
2011b “How Much of This Is a Promise?" God as Sincere Speaker in Evangelical Bible Reading. Anthropological Quarterly 84(3): 631-653.
Bielo, James, ed.
2009 The Social Life of Scriptures: Cross-Cultural Perspectives on Biblicism. New York: Rutgers University Press.
Bowen, John
1992 Elaborating Scriptures: Cain and Abel in Gayo Society. Man 27:  495-516.
Burdick, John.
1998 Blessed Anastacia: Women, Race, and Popular Christianity in Brazil. New York : Routledge.
Crapanzano, Vincent
1994 Kevin: On the Transfer of Emotions. American Anthropologist 96(4): 866-885.
2000 Serving the Word: Literalism in America from the Pulpit to the Bench. New York: New Press.
Csordas, Tom
2002 Language, Charisma, and Creativity: The Ritual Life of a Religious Movement. New York: Palgrave MacMillan.
Engelke, Matthew
2011 The Semiotics of Relevance: Campaigning for the Bible in Greater Manchester. Anthropological Quarterly 84(3): 705-735.
Epps, Patience, and Herb Ladley
2009 Syntax, Souls, or Speakers: On SIL and Community Language Development. Language 85(3): 640-646.
Eric, Hoenes
2011 Toward and Ideology of Gesture: Gesture, Body Movement, and Language Ideology among Q'eqchi'-Maya Catholics.  Anthropological Quarterly 84(3): 595-630.
Fader, Ayala
2001 Literacy, Bilingualism, and Gender in a Hasidic Community." Linguistics and Education 12(3): 261-283.
2007 Reclaiming Sacred Sparks: Linguistic Syncretism and Gendered Language Shift among Hasidic Jews in New York." Journal of Linguistic Anthropology 17(1): 1-22.
2009 Mitzvah Girls: Bringing Up the Next Generation of Hasidic Jews in Brooklyn. Princeton: Princeton University Press.
Handman, Courney
2007 Speaking to the Soul: On Native Language Authenticity in Papua New Guinea Bible Translation. In Consequences of Contact: Language Ideologies and Sociocultural Transformations in Pacific Societie. Miki Makihara and Bambi Schieffelin, eds. Pp: 166-188. New York: Oxford.
2009 Language Ideologies, Endangered-Language Linguistics and Christianization." Language 85(3): 635-639.
2011 Isrealite Geneaologies and Christian Commitment; The Limits of Language Ideologies in Guhu-Samane. Anthropological Quarterly 84(3): 655-677.
Hansen, Magnus
2010 Nahautl Among Jehovah's Witnesses of Hueyapan, Moreles: A case of Spontaneous Revitalization." International Journal of the Sociologyof Language 203: 125-137.
Harding, Susan
1987 Convicted by the Spirit: The Rhetoric of Fundamentalist Baptist Conversion. American Ethnologist 14(1): 167-181.
2001 The Book of Jerry Falwell: Fundamentalist Language and Politics. Princeton: Princeton University Press.
Maltz, Daniel
1985 Joyful Noise and Reverent Silence: The Significance of Noise in Pentacostal Worship. In Perspectives on Silence.  Deborah Tannen and Muriel Saville-Troike, eds. pp: 113-137. Norwood, NJ: Ablex.
Nevins, Eleanor
2010 The Bible in Two Keys: Traditionalism and Evangelical Christianity on the Fort Apache Reservation. Language and Communication 30: 19-32.
Robbins, Joel
2001 God Is Nothing but Talk: Modernity, Language, and Prayer in a Papua New Guinea Society. American Anthropologist 103(4): 901-912.
2007 You Can't Talk behind the Holy Spirit's Back: Christianity and Changing Language Ideologies in Papuan New Guinea Society. In Consequences of Contact: Language Ideologies and Sociocultural Transformations in Pacific Societies. Miki Makihara and Bambi Schieffelin, eds. pp: 125-139. New York: Oxford.
Samarin, William.
1972 Tongues of Angels: The Religious Language of Pentacostalism. New York: MacMillan.
Samuels, David W
2006 Bible Translation and Medicine Man Talk: Missionaries, Indexicality, and the "Language Expert" on the San Carlos Apache Reservation. Language in Society 35: 529-557.
Shoaps, Robin.
2002 "Pray Earnestly": The Textual Construction of Personal Involvement in Pentecostal Prayer. Journal of Linguistic Anthropology 12 (1): 34-71.
Svelmoe, William.
2009 'We Do Not Want to Masquerade as Linguists': A Short History of SIL and the Academy. Language 85(3): 629-635.
Varghese, Manka, and Bill Johnston
2007 Evangelical Christians and English Language Teaching. TESOL Quarterly 41(1): 5-31.
Werbner, Richard
2011 Holy Hustlers, Schism, and Prophecy: Apostolic Reformation in Botswana. Berkeley: University
of California Press.

Film Ideas
Jesus Camp
Jesus Loves You Where You Are: Three Generations of Pentecostal Women
The Linguists